Admission to the Data Science Major
All undergraduate students admitted to RU New-Brunswick are eligible to pursue either the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree.
Declaration of Major
To declare the major -for both the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees- students must complete the three foundational courses outlined below (with a Grade of C or better) and decide on one of the four available tracks, and finally complete the forms according to their specific school.
- 01:198:142/01:960:142 Data 101: Data Literacy
- 01:960:291 Statistical Inference for Data Science
- Data Management Course (Choose one): 01:198:210 Data Management for Data Science, 01:960:295 Data Management and Wrangling with R, or 04:547:221 Fundamentals of Data Curation and Management
For SAS Students
For the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) students, you can conveniently add the Data Science major to your academic plan using MyMajor.
For Other Rutgers-New Brunswick Students
For students in other schools, it is essential to complete the required forms corresponding to your school to include the Data Science major in your academic journey officially. Here are the links to the respective forms:
- School of Environmental and Biological Sciences: Students must complete the SEBS form to request a non-SEBS second major to declare the major: https://sebs.wufoo.com/forms/declaration-for-2nd-nonsebs-major/
- School of Engineering: https://ecs.rutgers.edu/major-declaration-form/
- Rutgers Business School: https://myrbs.business.rutgers.edu/undergraduate-new-brunswick/academic-advising/form
- There are currently no Data Science restrictions on double majors.
- Computer Science Major (198/198S) and Data Science Major – any track (Computer Science track (219S)/ Economics track (219E)/Statistics track (219T)/Societal Impact track (219O) may be combined as a Double Major.
- Computer Science (198) Minor and Data Science Major – any track (Computer Science track (219S)/ Economics track (219E)/Statistics track (219T)/Societal Impact track (219O) may be combined as a Major/Minor combination.
- Computer Science Major (198/198S) may be combined with Data Science (219) Minor (any track) for a Major/Minor combination.
- For Computer Science Courses (01:198:xxxx): Computer Science advisors
- For Statistics Courses (01:960:xxxx): Statistics advisors
- For Economics Courses (01:220:xxxx):
We are all here to guide and support you on your academic journey.
Spring 2024 Pre-Registration begins Monday, November 6, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. and continues through Thursday, November 16.
Additional Quick links
- Data Science Major B.A. and B.S. Flyer
- Data Science Minor and Certificate Flyer
- Data Science Minor Pathway
- Data Science Certificate Pathway
- Sneak peek at the gateway course, Data 101, Department of Computer Science
- Academic Calendar
- Special Permission Numbers (Computer Science courses)
- Special Permission Numbers (School of Communication & Information): Please contact
- SAS Academic Advising
- SAS Core Curriculum
- Career Exploration and Success
- SEED2S (Student Excellence, Equity, and Diversity in Data Science)